Includes free updates to support the latest version of Swift
Written for Programmers
A Swift Kickstart is the perfect book for the experienced developer who wants to get serious about learning the Swift programming language.
- Up to date: This second edition to the best-selling Swift introduction has been updated to the Swift 5.5 release supporting iOS 15 and macOS 12 Monterey.
- The why and the how: This book covers core Swift syntax and features but also takes time to explain to you how Swift experts think about the code choices they make.
- Evolving with the language: As Swift matures and improves, this book changes to reflect the latest best practices and coding style.
- Code along: It's never been easier to get started with Swift as you follow the book examples using either Swift Playgrounds or Xcode playgrounds. This means you can code along on a Mac or an iPad.
Working your way through A Swift Kickstart is a great way to learn the language of the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.
Our journey is divided into three parts. We work from small pieces using the built in types in Swift and move to creating our own. You'll learn everything* you need to get started writing powerful applications in Swift.
Part One - The basic components of programming in Swift: Make and use functions, variables and constants, collections, and handy types from the Swift Standard Library.
Part Two - Creating our own types: Build our own enumerations, structs, classes, and protocols. We take advantage of value types and learn the Swifty way to craft your code.
Part Three - Beyond the basics: We conclude the book with an introduction to error handling, and we dig deeper into functions in Swift, generics, and higher-order functions.
* Note: as this book is an introduction to the language, we do not cover the async/await syntax. Asynchronous coding is a more advanced topic.
Before you know it you’ll find yourself fluent in the language used to write amazing apps for Apple platforms and more!
What you need
You need a Mac or an iPad running the latest version of Xcode or Swift Playgrounds.
The book is best viewed as an ePub on a device that supports scroll view. Mobi and pdf versions are available as well.
Check out these free sample PDFs
The Ultimate Bundle
Own all four books and pay 60% of the price of purchasing all four with The Ultimate Bundle.
Who am I?
My name is Daniel Steinberg, and I’ve been teaching Swift since it launched and iPhone development for more than a dozen years. I’ve spoken at countless conferences around the world, taught Swift to multinational companies such as Apple, Google, and eBay, and built apps for Apple’s platforms as far back as System 7.
This best-selling introduction to the Swift Programming Language is perfect for experienced developers who are new to Swift.